Monday, July 21, 2008

My football career is...

officially over LOL. I had a second opinion today and I am so glad I did it. It was an emotional one but so informative. The doctor explained everything to me right down to the type of joint I did indeed dislocate and most likely ripped the ligaments (on top of the 3 metatarsal bones and 2 of the ones that they are jointed together with ). I pushed them back in quite well only one of the joints is off by a tiny millimeter which is not a huge concern.

I was presented the option to find out of my ligaments were ripped for 100% but I would also have to have metal wires put in. The pros and cons for me were that if I didn't have it done I could more easily re injure it. (Not a huge huge risk though) I also would never be able to play intense sports ever again. Not a huge deal because I wasn't before and I probably should never run on it. I've thought about trying to start running again but it always has an excuse and still might not be made better by this route. The cons were that I'd have metal wire sticking most likely out of 4 of my toes where they would stay 4-6 weeks and could have infection problems. I'd also have to be done Breastfeeding. No full showers while having the wires and it would probably be uncomfortable with the wires in too. It may not fix the millimeter the joint is off. This can not guarantee that I might not need my joint bones fussed together if they start to cause me problems down the road.

The other option is this cast I have now it's a air type cast and I can take it off to move my ankle and to sleep at night as long as I feel my foot feels safe with a wrap on it. Pros are no surgery, can keep breastfeeding, and my pain level will continue to get better. Also it will heal in about the same amount of time. Cons if I do re injure myself I'll have to go another 4-6 weeks and consider the surgery again. The little millimeter that one of my little joints are off will never get fixed. I should never run again but can do low impact exercise (elliptical, swimming, and walking).

After much thought and tears I have decided to give the no surgery route... If for some unexplainable reason I hurt myself again we would 100% get the surgery. I am so happy that I got a second opinion done and will only see this guy from here on out. He cared about me and what I needed to get through this. Oh yeah and I'm not looking at 3 months before I can start putting weight on it. In about 6 weeks I should be able to start working with it

1 comment: